Hounds of Maine

False pregnancy

crossroadbeagles

Male Posts : 1023
    Job/hobbies : Auto tech

False pregnancy

Post  crossroadbeagles on Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:47 am

I got a 2.5 yr old gyp that is going through a false pregnancy, i have herd of complications after one so is there anything i should be concerned about, watch for, etc? also after this when she come back into heat is she safe to bread the next time around?
    HOLLABACK

Male Posts : 3081
    Job/hobbies : Guide/Carpenter

Re: False pregnancy

Post  HOLLABACK on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:47 am

Crossroadbeagles,
    False pregnancy is a common condition in which a non-pregnant female thinks shes pregnant.false pregnant females exhibits all the behavioral and physical signs and symtoms associated with a true pregnancy. Physical signs suggest that it is caused by an excess of progesterone.However,progesterone levels in false pregnant females are the same as those for normal females.
    False pregnancy occurs about six to ten weeks after estrus.The signs are an increase in the amount of body fat,particularly in the abdomen.Often the breast enlarge and secrete a clear or brownish fluid or milk.Some females make a nest and experience abdominal cramps like labor.Some show a mothering instinct and become attached to small toys and other objects that are puppy substitutes.Others vomit off and on,and become depressed,and a few develop diarrhea.
    Occasionally,the false-pregnant bitch appears to exhibit severe uterine cramps.Caking of the breast is not unusual and is another source of discomfort.

TREATMENT;
    Mild cases require no treatment.The female begins to return to her normal condition in twelve weeks or less.Bitches with uterine cramps can be give'n birth control pill Ovaban in a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight for eight days.This will often relieve discofort.Your vet may also wish to perscribe testosterone and or diethylstilbestrol(DES).
    A false-pregnant female is likely to have another false pregnancies.It may be a good idea to have her spayed.......
    crossroadbeagles

Male Posts : 1023
    Job/hobbies : Auto tech

Post  crossroadbeagles on Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:33 am

Thanks bill, thats a great bit of information....also the kind of info i did not want to read considering i had plans t bread her.... thanks thou.
    HOLLABACK

Male Posts : 3081
    Job/hobbies : Guide/Carpenter

Post  HOLLABACK on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:23 am

Crossroadbeagles,
    My only concern would be if it was hereditary or not? I'm not sure if it is? Ya might want to talk with your vet and find out first....Maybe it would help in the long run balance'n her hormones.....Do a bit more research and keep us posted....Good luck!

44magman

Male Posts : 313
    Job/hobbies : Running beagles

Post  44magman on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:24 pm

i have a bitch that has had two false pregnacys . i have not had her spayed yet and every time i bring in a new pup in the house one or two days later this bitch will have milk leaking from her .she could be real handy if i have any orphaned puppys.she had been bred once and was a very good mother.

Post  Guest on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Dave,Emily would be a super mom for my walker pups .I'll bring them over tomorrow for her lol!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:16 am