Hounds of Maine

Raw food?

SNOWSHOEHUNTER

Male Posts : 216
    Job/hobbies : electrician

Raw food?

Post  SNOWSHOEHUNTER on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:28 am

Have any of you guys fed your dogs raw chicken hearts and livers? We just butchered our meat chickens and have a huge bag of livers and hearts left over from people not wanting them after picking there chickens up. I was thinking of mixing in a small amount with there regular food. I have never fed raw but have heard good things about it.

44magman

Male Posts : 313
    Job/hobbies : Running beagles

Re: Raw food?

Post  44magman on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:32 pm

I don't feed any raw meat to my dogs I just don't know enough about it but when I cut up any deer bear or any animal I take all the scrap and fat and boil it up and then freeze it water and all to mix in the dogs food in the winter when they are running hard.i just heat the mixture up and put it in the dry kibble .cuts down on the feed bill also and the dogs like the nice warm meal in the winter .
    crossroadbeagles

Male Posts : 1023
    Job/hobbies : Auto tech

Post  crossroadbeagles on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:58 pm

Feed it to 'em, they’ll love it. If you would like to get the most benefit from it, i would hold off until winter sets in or you start running them hard and they start to lose some weight. Feeding raw is time consuming but for those who demand the most from there hounds defiantly benefit from it. There is a science to feeding raw, its way more than just cutting up road kill and feeding that strictly. dogs still need many other items in their diet. some quick Google searches will explain ALOT. as for just feeding a raw liver and heart each day is minor, i would just add it to the everyday allotment of kibble.
    SNOWSHOEHUNTER

Male Posts : 216
    Job/hobbies : electrician

Post  SNOWSHOEHUNTER on Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:38 am

Thanks i was planning to mix a little in with there kibble. Do you guys now if it would be good for a pregnant female? I will probabaly just wait till i start running them more.
    twister511

Male Posts : 41
    Job/hobbies : retired, golf, hunt

Post  twister511 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:23 am

I feed mine about 1/2 cup deer meat cooked, 1/2 half cup table scrap with 1 cup of hard food every night. Then in the morning 1/2 cup hard food. I find too much deer meat at once gives them the runs. I cook up all the deer meat and put in 2 lb. containers in freezer so can take it out thaw one at a time. Guys I hunt with save me scrap meat.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:12 am