Hounds of Maine

cold nights

matthewtenan

Male Posts : 103
    Job/hobbies : construction/hunting

cold nights

Post  matthewtenan on Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:12 pm

Have have 2 bedroom dog houses full of hay and probably 4 inches of insulation in the bedroom. They have always come out happy in the morning with warm ears but figured I would ask if anyone does anything special in these cold temps?
    Hunter

Male Posts : 421
    Job/hobbies : MM at TI /My Family and Hunting

Re: cold nights

Post  Hunter on Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:34 pm

I do just what you said insulated house ,lots of hay , warm food, = Happy hounds

44magman

Male Posts : 313
    Job/hobbies : Running beagles

Post  44magman on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:06 am

I do the same I have three beagles one dog house that is insulated with a good flap over the door and I put warm water on their food when I feed at night. I also have a heated water bucket so they have access to water any time they want it . They drink a lot of water when I feed dry food but when I feed wet food they drink very little out of the bucket.they seem happy and healthy and ready to run.

bones

Post  bones on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:45 am

Also make sure the dog house is not to big for the dog to get warm up. Had a fella have a beagle on a house big enough for a pony and wondered why the dog barked all the time, gave him a smaller house dog wasn't cold any more stopped barking

44magman

Male Posts : 313
    Job/hobbies : Running beagles

Post  44magman on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:43 pm

great point bones the house I have has a divider in it I take the divider out in summer and put it back in in winter I cuts the sleeping area down to about 22 inches by 36 inches and all three beagles fit in nice and happy.in the summer they have a spot 44 by 36 ,and in the shed they have a large dogloo plastic house that they all fit in good. but would be way to big for just one beagle to stay warm.

matthewtenan

Male Posts : 103
    Job/hobbies : construction/hunting

Post  matthewtenan on Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:12 pm

Mine are are pretty snug just enough room to get in and get curled up. They didn't even stick around to get their head scratched this morning grabbed there milk bone the wife said and had breakfast in bed!
    Chuck Lead

Male Posts : 288

Post  Chuck Lead on Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:22 am

Lots of straw and i put the old dogs in a crate in the garage... extra food and warm water... stuck my hand in houses this morn and they were warm but sure as hell werent comin out to greet me
    mainecathunter

Male Posts : 126
    Job/hobbies : cat and bear hunting

Post  mainecathunter on Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:12 am

I keep them insIde by the wood stove on the cold nights. After a hard cat run, they always get extra food and a warm spot to recover in. In higher temps, it's back in the kennel. Lots of straw, not hay. They do just fine. I feed black gold.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:24 am