Hounds of Maine

Maine Sporting Dog Association Sample Mission Statement

Hollaback_Sistah

Maine Sporting Dog Association Sample Mission Statement

Post  Hollaback_Sistah on Wed May 04, 2011 11:42 pm

Hello, everyone.

I am crafted a rudimentary mission statement for review. I primarily focused on our desire to preserve sporting dog activities but, felt it was equally poignant to add youth, conservation, and other buzz word activities. This is what I extrapolated from the consensus as the Bangor Meeting . It's exponentially important in this day and age to portray organizations like ours in the exact light that they should be seen in--self regulating conservation minded folk--rather than the bad rap that a few less than stellar examples of poor sportsman promulgate. I'm not married to it so, by all means let's figure out the tweaks and go from there. I sent, under separate cover to the Maine Sporting Dog Association website the verbiage to Lauren.

It is the mission of the Maine Sporting Dog Association to:

Uphold long-standing traditions of sporting dog activities in the State of Maine and preserve the established history of the human-canine relationship;

Educate citizenry on the importance of proper care, breeding, and training of all sporting dogs;

Foster youth interest in sporting dogs, good stewardship and the preservation of the natural environment;

Safeguard the interests of sporting dog owners, breeders, trainers, guides, hunters, and handlers in the State of Maine;

Mitigate issues concerning the use of sporting dogs with legislators, landowners, and other individuals & advocacy groups;

And, spotlight the convergence of Maine’s natural resource conservation and wildlife management affecting sporting dog activities and needs.

Anxiously awaiting your input.

Lisa

HOLLABACK

Male Posts : 3081
    Job/hobbies : Guide/Carpenter

That sounds like we know what were doing!

Post  HOLLABACK on Thu May 05, 2011 12:08 am

Lisa,
    That sounds like we know what were doing.lol....Ma & Dad must of been tired after have'n you...lol....I must of been the funny joke for you to play with. lol.....Sounds great! Look forward to what everyone else has to say.Thanks Great job!
    Hollaback_Sistah

Re: Maine Sporting Dog Association Sample Mission Statement

Post  Hollaback_Sistah on Thu May 05, 2011 12:27 am

lol! Actually, you're the smart one. I just know alot of big words. It's all smoke and mirrors, Bro. OX
    doghunter.me

Male Posts : 299
    Job/hobbies : mechanic/maine guide

Post  doghunter.me on Thu May 05, 2011 3:57 am

i think it sounds good
    snowhound

Male Posts : 269

Post  snowhound on Thu May 05, 2011 4:42 am

well done lisa/ hey bill are you sure thats your sister Very Happy

oxford dogger

Post  oxford dogger on Thu May 05, 2011 5:07 am

I'm going to have to ruminate on that overnight.LOL
    Tim
    Hollaback_Sistah

Post  Hollaback_Sistah on Thu May 05, 2011 6:30 am

oxford dogger wrote:I'm going to have to ruminate on that overnight.LOL
    Tim

tongue Good one!
    Laneysplott

Male Posts : 108
    Job/hobbies : guide

Post  Laneysplott on Thu May 05, 2011 3:41 pm

AT ANY RATE THE MISSION STATEMENT LOOKS PRETTY GOOD. I HAVE A COUPLE OF THOUGHTS

1. MAKE IT A LINE ITEM TO " FOSTER OR PROMOTE GOOD LAND OWNER RELATIONS".

2. THERE SHOULD BE SOMETHING SAID IN THERE ABOUT THE CONCEPT OF WORKING WITH "DEPT OF WILDLIFE AND INLAND FISHERIES" TO DO ABOUT EVERYTHING THAT HAS BEEN MENTIONED. I WOULD LIST THIER NAME.

I MIGHT WORK THE WORD "SPORTSMANSHIP" IN THERE WITH ETHICS SOME HOW

WHILE SOME OF THE ABOVE MAY BE TAKEN FOR GRANTED I THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD PUBLIC RELATIONS STATEMENT.

I LIKE THE LAND OWNER STATEMENT AS THAT IS WHAT IS IN DIRECTLY DRIVING OUR PROBLEMS. REAL PROBLEM IS INDIVIDUALES BAD BEHAVIOR.

JIM

This was part of a e-mail I received from Jim Harris, Jim was one of the driving forces in getting the Vermont bear hunters up and running, He has a ton of great idea's for us. I fully agree with him about a statement on land owner relations and something about IF&W.

Keep up the good work Lisa, we agreatly appreciate all you are doing for us.
    pappa Bear

Male Posts : 41
    Job/hobbies : Maskwa Outfitters/ Contractor

Post  pappa Bear on Thu May 05, 2011 3:48 pm

I think the objective of the message is very clear and well said. Personaly, I would like to see some simpler words in places. When I was reading the statement it semmed to read more like a contract, and I was more caught up on what the words meant and less on the message.

Thank you for all that you have done thus far for the MSA. You are a plethora of information and good ideas you are greately appreciated! Very Happy
    pappa Bear

Post  pappa Bear on Thu May 05, 2011 3:57 pm

Im sorry, the wording in the staement was just fine it was your wording before hand that was fancy Embarassed havent finished my coffee yet! the message is very nice ! just needed to read it again Very Happy
    Read twice write once is my new moto!
    DogChaser

Male Posts : 177
    Job/hobbies : Plumbing+Heating/HUNTING

Post  DogChaser on Thu May 05, 2011 5:01 pm

I have put the disclaimer on the the website that Lisa wrote for us. I like the mission statement and when you all figure out the quirks of that I will post it to the home page of the website too. Let me know if there is anything else I can do lol!

~DogChaser's wife I love you
    sprucemountain

Post  sprucemountain on Thu May 05, 2011 6:49 pm

Sounds good to me.
    HOLLABACK

Mission Statement

Post  HOLLABACK on Thu May 05, 2011 7:05 pm

Great job so far Lisa.I personaly know that you've done your homework on this before you wrote it.With reasons why it's worded the way it is.It's like the criminal tell'n the judge how to do his job if I say anything.......Keep up the good work Sistah cheers
    DogChaser

Post  DogChaser on Thu May 05, 2011 7:35 pm

HOLLABACK wrote: Great job so far Lisa.I personaly know that you've done your homework on this before you wrote it.With reasons why it's worded the way it is.It's like the criminal tell'n the judge how to do his job if I say anything.......Keep up the good work Sistah cheers

I agree with you Bill
    pappa Bear

Post  pappa Bear on Thu May 05, 2011 7:47 pm

Like I said your doing a great job ! and it is well written my apollegies, But, When some one ask for input I suspect they would receive it in a none judging way. we all see, hear, and aprouch things in a different way. Like they say the best game warden is a reformed poacher (takes a poacher to catch a poacher)!
    pappa Bear

Post  pappa Bear on Thu May 05, 2011 8:11 pm

FOR THE RECORD IM NIETHER pOACHER NOR CRIMINAL!!!!! Smile Laughing Razz Wink
    HOLLABACK

Mission statement

Post  HOLLABACK on Thu May 05, 2011 8:41 pm

Feedback is always a good thing.Everyone brings alot of great things to the table.We all need our input to make our group perform like a well oiled machine.Glad to see so many people get involved,Thats a great thing!It also means that it's important to everyone.I'm thankful to all involved with this group and am glad were off to a great start.Excited to see this group grow and watch it develop into a group that everyone knows is there for a reason(To protect our sport)and to be there when called upon.Also knowing that it's just not all buisness.We will also have great times getting folks together at events,and days to just hang out.Thanks again to all involved with getting this group up and running.Proud to see us all pull together,make it happen,and meet all of you.Everyone is as important as the next.
    pappa Bear

Post  pappa Bear on Thu May 05, 2011 8:46 pm

Well said Hollaback, Im sure there will be many memories to come with such a passionate and motivated group of people. Glad to be involved with such a group as the Maine sporting dog association!
    Hollaback_Sistah

Post  Hollaback_Sistah on Thu May 05, 2011 9:30 pm

You are quite welcome. It was wonderful meeting you all the other day and I appreciate all the positive the feedback. Ultimately, this will provide for the most comprehensive mission statement and really give everyone ownership in the organization. So please lets continue to flush this out. I do want to add a couple of things that might make your decisions on where to go with this easier.

I appreciate where Jim is going with his suggestions; clearly he speaks from experience with his group. I've tried to expound on Jim's ideas so that we can continue to hone the most fitting mission statement. My comments are in pink below. Hope they can help.

Laneysplott wrote:AT ANY RATE THE MISSION STATEMENT LOOKS PRETTY GOOD! I HAVE A COUPLE OF THOUGHTS

1. MAKE IT A LINE ITEM TO " FOSTER OR PROMOTE GOOD LAND OWNER RELATIONS".

I mention "landowners" in this line "Mitigate issues concerning the use of sporting dogs with legislators, landowners, and other individuals & advocacy groups;" My concern with breaking it out separately is that it may draw attention to it needlessly. In other words, my experience is that it is more effective public relations/marketing to draw attention to the good aspects of a organization, company, etc. rather than combat the negative aspects. A crude example would be if McDonald's mentioned in their ads that their food is fast, their chocolate shakes are yummy and they are working to ensure their drive-thru coffee is the right temperature (since one of their problems with their image has been burning little old ladies with their super lava-like joe). McDonald's is much more effective in minimizing the negative aspects of their image problem by touting their new and improved coffee flavors and then making sure their employees know how to regulate coffee temperature. Perhaps not the best example...need more coffee myself today.

Perhaps a better way to address this would be to rewrite the above-referenced line to be a bit more specific? Something like "Mitigate issues concerning the use of sporting dogs with legislators, individuals, and advocacy groups and continue to promote positive landowner-hunter relations".

By writing "continue to promote" we, in essence, are acknowledging that we already have this positive benefit.

2. THERE SHOULD BE SOMETHING SAID IN THERE ABOUT THE CONCEPT OF WORKING WITH "DEPT OF WILDLIFE AND INLAND FISHERIES" TO DO ABOUT EVERYTHING THAT HAS BEEN MENTIONED. I WOULD LIST THIER NAME.

Again, I like the concept here. We mention in the last line the phrase wildlife management. We could, as a suggestion, remove the more broad "wildlife management" phrase and make it more specific. "And, spotlight the convergence of Maine’s natural resource conservation and wildlife management affecting sporting dog activities and needs". Change it to: "And, work with the State of Maine's Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife to preserve Maine's natural resources including wildlife management that affects sporting dog activities and needs". My concern is being too pigeonholed. For example, local hunters and Guides are often the first line of defense in noticing when things are going awry (i.e. diseased animals, coyote problems, etc.). They often are the first to notify IFW of what's going on. The more broad wildlife management would encompass IFW and many other groups such as Maine's Professional Guides Association, trappers, etc. Potentially, we could mention them all but, then we risk alienating a group? Worth thinking about at any rate.

I MIGHT WORK THE WORD "SPORTSMANSHIP" IN THERE WITH ETHICS SOME HOW

Yes, we could add a line. My suggestion would be something like: Promote the concept of good sportsmanship in all sporting dog disciplines and activities through education, advocacy, and by example. I'm afraid of using the word ethical. Not because we aren't ethical. We are. But, because if you have to tell someone to be ethical or state that we are ethical, it leaves the impression that most hunters aren't. (Hunters, especially hound hunters, get a bad rap because of few idiots.) We don't want to highlight that fact. If anyone has good suggestions post them.

WHILE SOME OF THE ABOVE MAY BE TAKEN FOR GRANTED I THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD PUBLIC RELATIONS STATEMENT.

I LIKE THE LAND OWNER STATEMENT AS THAT IS WHAT IS IN DIRECTLY DRIVING OUR PROBLEMS. REAL PROBLEM IS INDIVIDUALES BAD BEHAVIOR.

JIM

This was part of a e-mail I received from Jim Harris, Jim was one of the driving forces in getting the Vermont bear hunters up and running, He has a ton of great idea's for us. I fully agree with him about a statement on land owner relations and something about IF&W.

Keep up the good work Lisa, we agreatly appreciate all you are doing for us.

Looking forward to the next step in MSDA's evolution.

Lisa
    HOLLABACK

Mission statement

Post  HOLLABACK on Thu May 05, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm starting to question who my folks are? scratch Thanks Lisa!
    Hollaback_Sistah

Post  Hollaback_Sistah on Thu May 05, 2011 10:45 pm

lol! You know Mom loves you more. Very Happy
    old timer

Male Posts : 466
    Job/hobbies : semi retired

great job

Post  old timer on Fri May 06, 2011 2:44 am

Its always good to have such a knowlageble member in the association. I think MSDA got off to a great start and will continue to grow and develop and become respected by all hunting/sporting groups. Great job Lisa!

oxford dogger

Post  oxford dogger on Fri May 06, 2011 3:51 am

Anyone else have problems reading the differant colored text?

Post  Guest on Fri May 06, 2011 5:18 am

I'd like to start by personally thanking everyone who stepped up to the plate sunday, and took a seat in the MSDA. Thanks to all you folks, every hunter in this state will have a greater chance to keep our hunting rights!!! THANK YOU ALL...
    Lisa I think the mission statement is coming along very well, thank you for all your hard work... Bill your are 100% right Lisa is going to be a huge asset for us... Again I hope everyone appreciates all the hard work, time, and effort that is going into this association.....

Regards
    Joe
    DogChaser

Post  DogChaser on Sat May 07, 2011 10:06 pm

Are we any closer to the new MSDA mission statement? Have there been any revisions or am I ok to use Lisa's original?
    Thanks, Lauren

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:20 pm